The Realities of Prospecting/Lead Generation
Finding new business from new prospects is a critical task for the long-term success of any organization. Whether your tactics include traditional or modern digital tactics, a lack of clear expectations can lead to internal confusion. Before you start, identify clear goals and expectations and adjust as needed. Here are a few of the realities of prospecting.
- Develop leading indicators.
- Show respect for your prospecting team. It can be a daunting grind.
- Be careful with automation.
- It is never 100% or even 80%. This will vary by person and prospect persona.
- Drive for progress, not perfection.
- You will have no shows.
- First meetings are meant to start the relationship.
- Celebrate successes. A "yes, I will talk with you" from a prospect is a victory.
- Negativity kills the team's momentum.
- Find a process and messaging that works and stick with it.
- Messaging will vary per persona.
- If it is not working stop, assess, and adjust.
- Genuine kindness wins.
- Be brief.
- Blend voices from marketing and sales.
- Do not stop positive momentum.
- Measure success at multiple touchpoints.